BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND YouTube Layouts »

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

When American?

To tell you the truth, I hadn't really thought about what it means to be an American or anything of that sort ever. Not once in my life have I questioned what I am as a American. What I realize now is that being an American is about being free. Its about being able to choose and to speak out and to have rights. I've had that in my subconscious for a while now and now its free. Like an American! So today I realize I am an American. Truly. I am a free, democratic, culture accepting, Declaration of Independence reading American. And Proud to be one. It feels great to be an American. You hear about all these oppressed and very not free societies and it makes me appreciate how free and great this country can be. Its surprising how much we take for granted in America. We seem to be constantly complaining about this and that and how all our stuff is so important. This is also part of being an american. Not something to be proud of but something to be conscious of. Im not saying everyone is like this, but enough act like this that they are part of the idea of a stereotypical American. I have to say even i've done this quite a bit. So basically being an American is not something simply defined. We have things in common with each other but all in all we are a unique society.

4 comments:

Yi Dong Mei said...

Hey max, I totally agree with your depiction of an American. I also agree with how you're stating that there are other oppressed societies in the world and people in the U.S takes for granted the freedom that they enjoy. Overall, I think after reading your blog, I have a clearer sense of what it feels like to be an American.

Loren Hou said...

"What I realize now is that being an American is about being free. It's about being able to choose and to speak out and to have rights," that is true for the most part. But sometimes, I can't help but wonder, "do all of us have these benefits? All as in everyone in the US?"

And, I completely agree with your second point how most Americans complete about almost everything even though they/we are already really fortunate. Nice blog entry.

David Zhen said...

I dont know what you mean when you said "an American is everything". I'm saying that an American is anyone like you said is being free. For example if you were living in a dictatorship country and you come to American for freedom because American is a democracy, then you are a American because you're free to make choices. What's the point of citizenship anyway? If people want to come here to be free. Do you really need something to tell you your an American? When all you want is to be free and to make your own choices.

Maxwell said...

You not saying anything david